A Florida couple had quite the scare when a toilet in their home exploded during a lightning storm Sunday morning.
Marylou Ward told WISH she and her husband were in their Port Charlotte home when she heard a loud “BOOM!” ring out through the residence.
“It was the loudest noise I’ve ever heard,” Ward told the station. “We thought the house was on fire because it smelled like smoke.”
Upon further inspection of the scene, Ward said she and her husband discovered their toilet was shattered to bits.
“We came in here and the toilet was laying on the floor,” she said. “There’s pieces everywhere.”
According to the company that assessed the damage to Ward’s home, A-1 Affordable Plumbing, a bolt of lightning struck the septic tank in the front yard, “igniting the methane gas (natural gas from sewer) in the sewer pipes and causing an explosion.”
“The toilet exploded in home owners master bathroom sending porcelain airborne like a missile (the porcelain penetrated into wall),” the company explained. “Most likely all sewer piping will need to be replaced and septic tank.”
Although the damage to her home was extensive, Ward remains thankful no one was injured in the explosive incident.
“I’m just glad none of us were on the toilet,” she told WISH.