DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — The commander of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard says the shooting down of a U.S. drone has sent “a clear message” to America.
Gen. Hossein Salami said also says that Iran does “not have any intention for war with any country, but we are ready for war”.
His speech was carried live on Iranian state television on Thursday, shortly after U.S. and Iranian officials acknowledged the shooting down of the drone.
The Guard says it shot down the American drone over Iranian airspace, while U.S. officials told The Associated Press the downing happened over international airspace in the Strait of Hormuz.
The different accounts could not be immediately reconciled.
A U.S. official spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity as the information had yet to be cleared for release to the public.
The incident heightens tensions between Tehran and Washington after Donald Trump withdrew from a nuclear deal, which is still supported by allies including Britain and France.
The downing of the RQ-4 Global Hawk comes after the U.S. military previously alleged Iran fired a missile at another drone last week that responded to the attack on two oil tankers near the Gulf of Oman. The U.S. blames Iran for the attack on the ships, something Tehran denies.