Indiana QB Zander Diamont to quit football

Zander Diamont

© (Getty Images) Zander DiamontIndiana Hoosiers backup quarterback Zander Diamont will end his football career following his team’s bowl game with the intention of preserving his health.

“If I’m going to go out, I’m going to go out my way,” Diamont told reporters Saturday, via the Indy Star. “I think that for my safety and my future —I’m not going to the NFL —I need my brain. So that was the decision.”

The junior quarterback, who claimed he suffered”a lot” of concussions in his playing career, discussed his health with his family before approaching coach Kevin Wilson last week to inform him of his decision.

“One of his gifts is his ability to run but he’s a small guy and he plays with a lot of heart and a lot of courage,”Wilson said of Diamont. “I think some of those hits are adding up on him.”

As for what’s next for the California native, Diamont isn’t certain where he’ll end up — but says he plans to give the entertainment industry in Los Angeles a try. Regardless, he said he’s grateful for the opportunity to play the sport he loves.

“This game is life and I couldn’t be more grateful for the growth it’s brought me,” Diamont said.

Diamont recorded 552 rushing yards and nine rushing touchdowns while adding 837 passing yards and one passing touchdown in his three-year career at Indiana.

The Hoosiers(6-6, 4-5 Big Ten) became bowl eligible for the second consecutive year by defeating rival Purdue 26-24 on Saturday.

Sporting News

Sporting News