2 killed in London stabbing attack

LONDON (AP) — The Latest on an incident in London Bridge (all times local):

8:15 p.m.

London police say two people were killed in a stabbing near London Bridge that ended when the attacker was shot dead by police.

Metropolitan Police chief Cressida Dick said “tragically” two members of the public had lost their lives in the Friday attack.

Police earlier said only that “a number” of people had been injured.

Police say the stabbing happened at a premises near the bridge. The fleeing attacker, who was wearing a hoax explosive device, was tackled by members of the public before being shot by police.

___

4:55 p.m.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan says police are not looking for anyone else in the stabbings that took place near London Bridge.

The mayor commended the “breathtaking heroism” of the members of public who intervened in the incident, running toward the suspect. The man was later shot dead by police.

Khan says a number of people were wounded in the incident Friday and that some of the injuries are serious. He did not offer a figure, but said it was important to allow the families of those who were hurt some privacy.

___

4:30 p.m.

Police say the stabbings and shooting at London Bridge have been declared a “terrorist incident” and that a man was shot dead.

The Metropolitan Police’s Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu says the suspect who died was wearing a hoax explosive vest.

Police have said several people were stabbed, though it was not immediately clear how many people were hurt nor the extent of their injuries. Basu did not address the number of injured in his statement Friday.

The Associated Press
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS